When it comes to social media, it seems like the strategy is constantly evolving. This week we take a look at the types of social media posts that generate the best organic visibility and engagement.
Organic Social Trends on Facebook
Meta’s quarterly transparency report for Q4 in 2022 tells what people are viewing on Facebook, specifically the type of organic content, not ads, that people view.
As of Q4 2022, Facebook recommendations make up about 25% of the organic posts in your feed in case you are wondering why you see more content from people and pages you aren’t familiar with.
The report shows that only 75% of content seen is from people’s friends, from Facebook groups they’ve joined, or pages they liked. The remaining 25% of posts are recommendations from Facebook’s algorithm. We’ve been talking about how Meta has been increasing the amount of recommended content versus people you know and follow. But, one of the most interesting things that came out of this report is that 92% of the items people see did not include a link to a source outside of Facebook. The posts that Meta is putting in people’s feeds, for the most part, don’t include links.
In terms of visibility, your posts that include links outside of Facebook probably aren’t being seen by your audience
We’ve known for a long time that Facebook wants to keep people within their platform. So when you post and have links to your website or other third party sites in your organic posts, they’re not necessarily getting seen by people. This is something to keep in mind when planning your social media strategy.
Engagement with Organic Social Media
The other report we looked at is the 2023 Social Media Benchmarks Report. It covered Instagram, Facebook, Tiktok and Twitter and it looked at engagement on posts.
What they’ve found is that engagement in general has been going down over the past couple years, especially on Instagram. But in looking at what types of posts get engagement, videos and photo posts drive the most engagement on Facebook while links and status updates have the least engagement.
Videos and photo posts drive the most engagement
For Instagram businesses should focus on Reels and Carousels (posts with multiple photos). If you upload a video post that is not a Reel, that tends to have the least engagement.
In order to reach the most people organically on social media, you should focus your efforts on video content. That’s something we’ve been saying for a while, but we still see many businesses who haven’t used any video. What’s holding you back from creating more videos for your online presence? We’d love to hear from you.
Links in this episode:
Social Media Engagement Rates Dropping Across Top Networks
Widely Viewed Content Report: What People See on Facebook
Meta Makes Making Videos Easier